Happy TTT! The theme this week is a genre freebie. So I thought of listing down romance tropes in the order of my least to most favorite romance tropes. Bear in mind, this order keeps changing for me, especially the most favorite ones. I’m keeping it simple this time.
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018.
- Abduction or Kidnap: Stockholm syndrome is not my thing.
- Love Triangle: I abhor love triangles, especially when a character strings two people around.
- Instant love or love at first sight: Instant attraction – Yes. Instant love – No.
- Cohabitation Romance: Love between the roomies? The storytelling is almost always predictable.
- Forbidden Love: Who can deny the charm of a forbidden romance? Apparently me. I don’t necessarily hate it. But I won’t pick up a book solely because of this trope.
- Second Chance: This trope has so much potential! But lately, books with this trope has been disappointing me with the poor and predictable quality of storytelling.
- Arranged Marriage: Mix this trope with POC characters and you’ve got me convinced!
- Fake Relationship: It’s an overused trope. But I find such giddiness when I find a rare story that uses it in a refreshing way!
- Friends to lovers: When executed well, this trope brings me unbridled happiness.
- Enemies to lovers: Oh yes! Bring me all that unresolved tension.